Are you thinking about taking advantage of smart technology around the home? Has smart heating been something you’ve been thinking about for some time but don’t quite know where to start? The aim of this blog is to help you choose a thermostat that can fit your specific needs.
When it comes to your heating, smart thermostats will give you greater control and with that comes an ability to ensure that your system operates more efficiently. There are many different types of smart thermostats available but they can help your system to work better based on your habits and your preferences as well as offer a wealth of other features.
Finding the right thermostat can prove challenging because there are so many on offer and they all claim to do the same and things that are different. Whatever you choose, they can all help you to maintain the temperature of your home with efficiency.
What is a Smart Thermostat?
A smart thermostat will connect to your internet and can be controlled using an app. Using a standard thermostat, you will be able to control when your heating comes and when you want it to switch off but once you leave the home, you lose all control. This means that you won’t be able to turn it off if you leave it on. However, if you want greater control whether you are at home or away from home then a smart thermostat will really change your life.
Some of the modern features you can expect with a smart thermostat are geofencing, settings that help to stop your pipes from freezing as well as constant feedback and the ability to review how you use your heating. The price of these systems can range from anything between £150 and £300. However, you should also make sure that you do not confuse these with smart meters. These are often distributed for free by gas and electricity suppliers and will monitor your usage and utility supply before sending data back to your supplier.
What is a Programmable Thermostat?
A programmable thermostat is something that most of us will have in our homes. They have a digital interface but cannot be connected to your internet or controlled remotely. The latest models will enable you to control the temperature and you can also set schedules as well as daily and weekly starts and shut-offs although as expected, these are cheaper than a smart thermostat so you can expect to pay between £20 and £100.
The Features of Smart Heating Thermostats
When it comes to managing our homes, smart thermostats are a great way of taking control and they come in many different styles and features. Therefore, you should look to consider some of these features:
- Geofencing – It’s quite likely that you will control your thermostat from your smart device which means that Geofencing will ensure your device knows when you are at home or not, allowing it to adjust the temperature.
- Remote Access – You should be able to access the settings of your thermostat from anywhere and make any adjustments or changes that you consider necessary.
- Motion and Proximity Sensors – Installing these sensors around your home will ensure that the heating is turned on when you arrive home or use a specific room, giving you greater control.
- Smart Home Integration – Many thermostats can now be linked up with smart devices such as the Amazon Alexa, allowing you to control your heating with voice commands.
- Ability to Learn – As it is a smart device, you will want your thermostat to recognise your movements and then make choices based on your patterns and behaviours.
- Easy Installation- The majority of smart thermostats can be purchased and installed yourself. You should check if your thermostats require a common wire or a C-wire and if you are in doubt, then you should call on a specialist to help.
- Easy to Use – A smart thermostat should be designed for all users and that means that it should be easy to navigate and simple to use. Therefore, choose one that has the right interface and functionality.
- Zonal Heating – If your home has many rooms that you don’t use all of the time then you should look for a smart thermostat that gives you control of separate areas. This means that you can keep empty rooms cool and heat rooms that will be used.
- Responds to the Weather – Some thermostats will check the weather and will then adjust your heating to reflect this.
At Primetime Boilers, we offer Tado and Hive smart thermostats, so let’s take a look at what they offer:
Hive is known to be one of the better smart thermostat manufacturers on the market and that means that they are going to offer all of the functionality you require with our heating pack starting at £240.
Hive smart thermostats will allow users to change the temperature of their property from anywhere using the app. The LED display is minimal and simple to use which is ideal for those who are looking for something intuitive. You will be able to take advantage of geofencing which allows you to set a temperature based on when you leave home and when you return home. Should the heat be changed at home, the app will inform you which means that you can benefit from greater control while they also offer frost protection to help protect pipes. If you’re someone who holidays then there is a holiday mode too, which means that you can keep the temperature low for the duration of your holiday.
Tado is another brand that offers an excellent smart system that works with your smartphone. It gives you the same level of control and that means that it can fit into your home and fulfil your needs.
Just like the Hive system, this also comes with geofencing, giving you greater control of your heating when you are home or away. Weather monitoring is a unique feature that ensures your heating responds to the changing weather. If you are looking to save money on bills then Tado will help you achieve that while it will work with most HVAC systems. They have a modern and sleek design too which means that they fit into any decor while you’ll be pleased with savings of up to 30% on your bills.
Where Does This Leave You?
It leaves you with two great options when it comes to smart thermostats as the two systems we offer have more than enough features to help transform how you use your heating. Offering more control and savings, you can really make a difference to how your heating works for you.